Friday, June 13, 2008

Stares and Smiles

It all started with an eye contact. I was passing by, he was there sitting with his friends. I saw him, he saw me. There could have been a spark between our gaze had it last a fraction of a second longer. It could have ended in that single momentary stare. It did not.

A week passed. I saw him again. He turned his head and locked eyes with me. My expression changed. I smiled. He returned the gesture. Immediately, I broke the connection. My senses told me he was still looking at me. I continued walking.

It happened almost every week. We shared our smiles and gazes. He was there and I was passing by. The smiles were meaningful. The eye contacts were extreme. There were intentions in our eyes now. Both hidden at that time.

I turned to look unconsciously. He was there. He was looking at me. Those eyes were calling me. I responded instinctively. We had a chat in the midst of people passing by. Our first short glorious chat. Then I left. He stayed. I needed to be somewhere else.

He was my neighbor. He was not yet my friend. We dined together. Smiles and stares were still there. While munching our snack, we talked. Shared bits of our lives to each other. I asked his name, I did not gave mine. He never asked. Truth to be told, he was a family man.

My instinct was right. My senses were fully functional. He was committed, I was not. He was attractive, I enjoyed that. This must end. The end must start with me. I finished it. The desire was no longer, the passion was no more. Yet the story lives and continues with every stares and smiles.


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Philippines License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home