Monday, January 05, 2009

Cooking Oil

Since I really love to cook, I have to post this info that I just found.

Well, I've been cooking since I can hold my grip long enough to put the frying pan on the stove. One of the first things that I learned in cooking is to fry. Oh yeah, the typical put-some-oil-then-the-ingredients style. Speaking of cooking oil, a question hit me just now. Which cooking oil is the best? I'm a health conscious person my dear readers.

So as what cyberpeople would typically do... I Yahoo!ed and Googled it. The first two links are the same but of different ranks. And the results? Oh, it is very alarming! The contents of our usual cooking oils consist of high saturated fat and low monounsaturated fat. We don't like to take saturated fat because it raises the bad cholesterol in our body. What we rather want is the beneficial effect of monounsaturated fat. It lowers the bad cholesterol and raises the good cholesterol. Simple as that, let's not get too deep with technical terms here.

Coconut oil, palm oil, and butter are all high in saturated fats. Coconut oil even contains the most saturated fat and the least monounsaturated fat.

Olive oil, on the other hand, contains high monounsaturated fat. The thing is, it is comparatively expensive.

We all know that these days, in the field where product price and health benefits battle, the price almost always prevails. Why think of cooking oil health benefits now, we'll all die in the end anyway? ^_^

Source / read more:
http://www.fatfreekitchen.com/cholesterol/cookingoil.html
http://www.healthcastle.com/cooking-oils.shtml


Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-No Derivative Works 3.0 Philippines License.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home